At our annual Christmas party we always do a lottery-style white elephant gift exchange, with presents ranging from semi-useful to quickly-discarded.
A few examples:
• Leftover promotional T-shirts from a decade ago
• VHS tapes of Star Trek: The Next Generation
• Books on subjects no one cares about except the author
• A toy from a Burger King fun meal
• A used gym bag
• Halloween candy from ALDI
• A deep fryer (practical, but quickly returned by the recipient due to an inordinate fear of cholesterol)
The real gift that this little event provides, however, is the opportunity to relax and share a few laughs together as a team, and to salute each other for all the hard work throughout the year.
That’s the one to look back on and remember.